Specifications and Application Tips: Holo-Guard & Ultra-Guard
The specifications and application tips on this page pertain only to the Holo-Guard and Ultra-Guard Hologram security labels.
Table of Contents:
- Typical Applications
- Hologram Registry
- Specifications and Intended Use
- General Directions for Use
- Application Tips
- Trouble Shooting Guide
- Electronic equipment complying with FIPS 140-1, FIPS 140-2, & FIPS 140-3
- Extreme temperature environments ranging from -50F to +240F (+300F for Ultra-Guard)
- Low energy surfaces (plastics, etc) where conventional adhesives do not bond
- Other High Security Applications
Designated stock hologram labels must be custom imprinted with unique text, a logo or unique serial number. For added security, we maintain a register of all custom imprints on stock labels to prevent more than one customer from using the same custom imprint. For security reasons, we do no sell the designated stock labels without a custom imprint. For security labels with pre-assigned serial number, our numbering convention assures no duplicates.
1. Labels are constructed of durable polyester film (.002 inches thick).
2. Labels are die cut to size for easy removal, and provided on rolls with “peel and stick” adhesive backing. The backing material is silicone coated paper.
3. intended Surfaces:
a) The Holo-Guard labels are compatible with most bare metal, painted metal, fiberglass, PVC, and most smooth plastic surfaces.
b) The Ultra-Guard labels are intended for low energy surfaces such as texture plastic, powder-coated paint, CARC paint, etc.
4. Service Temperature Range (lab testing on stainless steel surface)
- Holo-Guard: -50F to +240F
- Ultra-Guard: -50F to +300F
5. Tamper evident polyester labels have a printed silicon release under the hologram image:
- Holo-Guard labels have a dot pattern.
- Ultra-Guard labels have a VOID OPENED pattern.
When removed, the release will self destruct the hologram image, leaving a pattern of dots (or OPENED VOID) in the film and a “high residue” being left on the surface. Over 90% of the label area is covered with release, which produces the “high residue” adhesive and enhances the tamper evident security feature.
6. Background colors and imprint inks are colorfast for exposure to sunlight. Black will not fade for at least 5 years. Colors will not fade for at least one year, typically two years or more.
- Resolution of custom imprint is 200 dpi minimum.
- Imprint Color Specifications for Hologram Labels: Green = PMS Green C; Dark blue = PMS 286 C; Red = PMS 192 C
7. Stock labels are designed for manual application. Labels may be supplied on paper or film liner. If auto-affixing, please let us know so we can confirm the labels are compatible with your affixing equipment.
8. Each roll of labels is on a 3 inch ID core is provided with a dispenser carton.
9. Typical labels/roll is 1000. However, this may vary with the label size. Please consult your sales rep for details.
10. Holo-Guard and Ultra-Guard labels are suitable for indoor (minimum 5 year life) and outdoor (maximum 2 year life) applications.
11. Holo-Guard and Ultra-Guard labels are NOT FDA-rated for DIRECT or INDIRECT contact with food.
12. Shelf Life: 2 years when stored at maximum temperature of 90F and maximum relative humidity of 70%.
Holo-Guard and Ultra-Guard labels have a release pattern to show tampering.
Ultra-Guard labels are compatible with all surfaces for FIPS applications. Holo-Guard is limited to bare metal, painted metal, glass, finished wood, and most smooth plastics.
For optimum adhesion, surfaces require cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to remove surface contaminants. NovaVision offers alcohol cleaning pads as an optional accessory.
Supplemental heat can be used to apply labels in cold climates; supplemental heat can also “set” the adhesion quickly.
After the label has been applied and the adhesive “sets”, the release pattern will self-destruct the hologram image when the label is removed.
1. The surface must be clean and dry.
2. For optimum adhesion, use a clean paper towel to wipe the surface with isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher) to remove surface contaminants. Then use a another clean paper towel to dry the surface while the alcohol is wet (do not allow the alcohol to air dry, which allows the contaminants to remain on the surface).
- Rubbing alcohol is not acceptable because it contains oils that can interfere with the adhesion.
- Lower concentrations of alcohol (70%, etc) are not recommended, because the non-alcohol portion is not a cleaning agent and may inhibit optimum adhesion.
3. The minimum application temperature is +50F.
For colder ambient temperatures (less than +50F), apply the label first, then apply supplemental heat on top of the labels. Supplemental heat can be applied with a hot water bottle (filled with hot water), a portable hand warmer, or a hand-held electric heat gun. The supplemental heat is only required for 30 seconds and is intended to increase the surface temperature to above the minimum application temperature. Be sure to confirm that the supplemental heat level you select will not damage the surface where the label is to be applied.
WARNING: Do not use an electric heat gun or any power tools in an area that contains flammable vapors. Sparks from the power tool can ignite vapors causing serious injury or death.
4. Apply the label — peel and stick.
5. To achieve the full tamper evident capabilities, allow a minimum of 24 hours cure at a minimum temperature of 65F or higher.
6. After achieving the full cure, the stated service temperature range is achievable for the intended surfaces.
Apply a test label to confirm it will show signs of tamper evidence. When tampered, a major portion of the hologram will be self destructed. Holo-Guard labels have a dots pattern. Ultra-Guard labels have a VOID OPENED pattern.
If there is no sign of tamper evidence, confirm the following:
- The surface must be cleaned with 99% isopropyl alcohol before applying the label.
- The other installation tips in Section E (above) were followed.
- If you are unsuccessfully using Holo-Guard labels and the surface is plastic or powder coated metal or the surface is textured, please contact us for samples of Ultra-Guard.
- If your testing is unsuccessful, please contact us for next steps. If you send us samples of the intended surface, we will test and confirm if a specialty adhesive is required (this testing is free).
- If an Independent Testing Lab is unsuccessful in testing the label, please have them contact NovaVision. We will request a copy of the test protocol and we will replicate the test at our testing facility (NovaVision's testing is free) to determine if our labels are suitable for your application.
To Order, or for additional Information, Quotes, Pricing, & Products, Contact:
NovaVision/Sales & Customer Service
419-354-1427 ext 4211
Fax: 419 -353 -7908